Friday, January 05, 2007

Days 2 at DNA

The second day at DNA was another series of lectures from editors of different sections out to explain why their section was the best.

In particular I found the points raised by Saumit, the editor of After Hrs., the mosr relevant. He is a 30 something guy who has his priorities clear. He asked us to get out the hypocritical belief that entertainment news is frivolous. In fact, he said, most of the news seen today is presented in such a flashy way that the effect of entertaining the audience into reading news is all too apparent. The thing with me is, on my test paper result, they had printed the words "After Hrs - Desk" in an all too apparent way of telling where I was headed, never mind the 360 degree tour of the paper.

THe other instance where I got charged up was the very first one where a certain Mr. Bhatia was talking about the Edit page. In newspapers, this is the most sacrosanct page and the only page where views are allowed rather than news. Therefore it is necessary to spell out the policy of the paper based on which editorials can be written. In DNA however, they seem to be liberal and secular to all issues which goes against the rules since it is impossible to be fair to your ideas if you publish any good piece of work. I argued, but the stand-offish response I got put me off.

OTher people from other sections came and spoke as well. But there was nothing much they could do for me to write about.

Let's see what happens tomorrow. We've been told that the deep end is awaiting us. How deep the rabbit hole goes will be apparent soon enough.

No comments: